Choluteca River Metaphor Part 3: How to build the bridge better!!!
What can you do to manage your professional journey( wont call it a career anymore :) )
- Language/Communication: You need to excel in one language be it your mother tongue, when i say excel you should be able to communicate clearly using it ( clearly : express with limited doubt/confusion) and
- Understand the business language in your city or country , it can be English or French. No, you don’t need to be articulate/ fluent but you should be able to grasp context/concept from listening to the language.
- Learn the business language to some extent : Spend most of your time here , understanding ideas is key to learning and language is the channel used to express ideas/ concepts. If it is a matter of speaking a thousand words in that language, feel free to use a picture :)
- Be good at your current role/responsibility: You should understand the basic principles and how to apply them as and when needed and also transfer them to a new task or new ask you need to work upon_________ For e.g. Cooking : you need to understand the basics of your native cuisine, basically the ingredients, their flavor, sequence , seasoning, marinating, prepping and heat. When you come to a new cuisine you apply those principles and manage to at least cook an average dish if not impressive
- Be Able to break concepts down into its order of existence : Any concept, task or action can be broken into primary secondary tertiary parts, primary being most important and basic.
- Use conceptual knowledge from one domain to learn a newer one: Apply knowledge of cooking to building software. find the language of software( Refer point 3 again), then the parts needed , then the behaviour of the parts and the order. This is enough to form a a basic understanding rather than worrying about syntax and programming constructs and then you start from point 4 all over again.
- If you read clearly, i happen to apply the same principles put above to write this article.
- Save money whenever you earn some and learn about investing.
- Take Care of your health by trying to eat well and keeping your body fit. Falling ill lesser will save you time and money.
- Read books across domains , you can throw fiction out of the window. Vocabulary from Harry potter is definitely not needed to get through 80 years of living. Do Read ‘How to win friends and influence ppl’ by Dale Carnegie
- Your cannot always protect your job , there will be an occasion where you will lose it despite being the best ( exaggeration , best at anything is impossible, lets not include the divine here). All you can do is be ready to adapt.
- Our generation , by our generation i mean the people born after 1975 will have to bite more bullets than they get to dodge. The curse of every following generation is that they get to bite the bullets dodged by the previous generation.
Please note: These points may not make apply to the under privileged but will make sense to those who mindlessly shared the choluteca forward without any additional commentary as the author didnt feel the need to. He comes from dodging generation where most of them are good at giving hollow advice.
Sharing a thought does not make you an expert in that line of thought nor does it mean you practice the principles under the though.
Demaag ki batti jalao ( Hindi) / Use you brain , it can think!!